Sunday, 5 January 2020

Saturday FA Cup round-up:Man City through while Tranmere fight back

Holders Manchester City claimed a comfortable FA Cup third-round win over Port Vale while Tranmere Rovers produced a brilliant fightback to draw 3-3 against last year's beaten finalists Watford.

Goals from Oleksandr Zinchenko, Sergio Aguero, Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Phil Foden gave City a 4-1 victory over the League Two side, who found the net through Tom Pope.

League One strugglers Tranmere delivered arguably the performance of the day as they came from 3-0 down at half-time to earn a replay against Premier League Watford.

Tom Dele-Bashiru, Nathaniel Chalobah and Roberto Pereyra had given the Hornets the upper hand, but the Wirral outfit battled back in the second half.

Connor Jennings netted just after the hour and Manny Monthe made it 3-2 with 12 minutes left at Vicarage Road.

Rovers then equalised with an 87th-minute penalty, converted by Paul Mullin, after Mason Barrett had fouled Corey Blackett-Taylor.

Premier League sides Brighton and Aston Villa were knocked out of the competition after both succumbed to Championship opposition.

Adam Reach gave Sheffield Wednesday a 1-0 win over Brighton at Amex Stadium while Anthony Knockaert and Harry Arter helped Fulham to a 2-1 victory over Villa.
Rochdale and Carlisle earn replays, non-league Hartlepool out

League One Rochdale earned a replay after they came from behind to draw 1-1 with Newcastle at Spotland.

The Magpies took the lead through Miguel Almiron but 40-year-old substitute Aaron Wilbraham levelled with a close-range finish with 11 minutes left.

League Two Carlisle secured a replay against Championship Cardiff City but might feel they should have done better after squandering a two-goal lead.

Jack Bridge and Harry McKirdy put the Cumbrians ahead but second-half goals from Callum Paterson and Gavin Whyte got the Bluebirds back on level terms.

Non-league side Hartlepool had taken a surprise 1-0 lead into the half-time interval against Oxford United thanks to Mark Kitching.

However, the Yellows rallied and ran out 4-1 winners after Rob Hall, Shandon Baptiste, Tariqe Fosu-Henry and Matty Taylor found the net.

How did the other Premier League sides do?

Twelve-time winners Manchester United and Wolves will need a replay after their tie ended in a goalless draw at Molineux.

Adam Idah netted a hat-trick on his FA Cup debut for Norwich as they were emphatic 4-2 winners over Preston - managed by former boss Alex Neil - at Deepdale.

Jay Rodriguez struck twice to give Burnley a 4-2 win over Peterborough with Erik Pieters and Jeff Hendrick also on target for the Clarets.

Southampton eased to a 2-0 victory over Huddersfield thanks to goals from teenagers Will Smallbone and Jake Vokins.

A brace for Philip Billing plus goals from Callum Wilson and Dominic Solanke ensured safe passage for Bournemouth as they cruised to a 4-0 win over Luton.

Leicester City reached the fourth round with a 2-0 win over Wigan following a Tom Pearce own goal and a strike from Harvey Barnes.

No run for Newport, Eaves treble sinks Millers

Welsh side Newport County had knocked out Leeds United, Leicester City, Middlesbrough and given scares to Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City in the past couple of seasons.

However, the League Two club will not get the opportunity to repeat their FA Cup giant-killing acts after a 3-0 defeat by Millwall.

A hat-trick from Tom Eaves helped Hull City come from behind to clinch a dramatic 3-2 win over Rotherham at New York Stadium.

Jeremie Bela scored late on as Birmingham edged a 2-1 win over Blackburn, Emilano Marcondes handed Brentford a 1-0 victory over Stoke while Portsmouth survived some late jitters in a 2-1 success at Fleetwood.

Bristol City and Shrewsbury require a replay after their tie finished 1-1, as do Reading and Blackpool after their tie ended 2-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment